Largest Employers in the Dallas Fort Worth Area
Photo by Ryan McGuire
The Dallas Fort Worth area is the fastest-growing metro area in Texas, and the nation. The DFW Metroplex is the fourth largest metropolitan area in the country, with a population of 6,700,991, according to 2012 data. That's a gain of over 1 million since 2000. What brings people to DFW? At least one reason is the jobs. The unemployment rate has been consistently lower than both the Texas and national averages: .35 and 1.2% lower in July of 2013, respectively. In addition, 18 DFW companies made the Fortune 500 list in 2013, including Wal-Mart, Exxon Mobil Corp., and Dallas-based AT&T. There are more than 70,000 firms in the area, with 90,000 physical business establishments. Around 4% of those firms and 1% of physical establishments have more than 500 employees.
Like other areas in Texas, DFW has plenty of employment opportunities for those who choose to relocate here. In addition, CNBC named Texas America's Top State for Business in July 2012. The area has also consistently had a low cost of living, around the same as Houston, and considerably lower than Austin. With plenty of opportunity, it's no wonder the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex has seen such growth.
The following is a list of the top 25 largest employers in the DFW area, ranked by how many employees they have locally. If you're looking for a job in the DFW area, it's a good place to start
1. AMR Corporation (American Airlines)24,700 employees Headquarters: 4333 Amon Carter Blvd. Fort Worth, TX 76155 800-433-7300 www.aa.com AMR is the world's largest airline, and serves 250 cities across 40 countries, with thousands of daily flights. The company's main headquarters are in Fort Worth, and include the American, American Eagle, and American Connection lines. AMR was named the World's Leading Airline to North America in 2012 by World Travel Awards. For employment opportunities at American Airlines/American Eagle, visit www.aacareers.com
2. Bank of America Corp.20,000 employees Local base: 901 Main St. Dallas, TX 75202 Headquarters: Charlotte, NC 800-432-1000 www.bankofamerica.com Bank of America is one of the largest financial institutions in the world, and as of 2010, is the fifth largest company in the United States by revenue. B of A serves small and middle market businesses and individual customers with everything from investing, to asset management, to banking.
3. Texas Health Resources Inc.19,230 employees Headquarters: 612 E Lamar Blvd. Arlington, TX 76011 682-236-7900 www.texashealth.org/jobs As one of the largest faith-based, non-profit health care systems in the nation, Texas Health Resources (THR) has 14 hospitals and more than 19,000 employees in the DFW area. Texas Health Resources was named in one of the top 25% of National Top Workplaces in 2013 by the Dallas Morning News.
4. Dallas ISD18,314 employees Headquarters: 3700 Ross Avenue Dallas, TX 75204 972-925-3700 www.dallasisd.org/dallasisd With schools spread across 384 square miles, Dallas ISD serves 157,000 students in 220 schools in the cities of Dallas, Cockrell Hill, Seagoville, Addison, Wilmer, and parts of other areas, including Carrollton, Cedar Hill, Duncanville, Garland, and others.
5. Baylor Health Care System17,097 employees Headquarters: 3500 Gaston Ave. Dallas TX 75246 214-820-0111 www.baylorhealth.com Baylor's largest campus is the Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas, and provides excellent patient care as well as teaching and medical research. For the last 19 years, the hospital has been named one of America's best hospitals by U. S. News and World Report.
6. AT&T15,800 employees Headquarters: One AT&T Plaza 208 S. Akard St. Dallas, TX 75202 214-268-7301 www.att.com Over the last century, AT&T has provided customers with innovative products and quality customer service. The company now has the largest 4G network in the United States, serving almost 3 million people with more than 32,000 WiFi hotspots around the nation. In 2013, AT&T U-verse was ranked highest in customer satisfaction, according to J.D. Powers.
7. Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Co.14,126 employees Local base: 1 Lockheed Blvd. Fort Worth, TX 76108 Headquarters: Bethesda, MD 817-777-2000 www.lockheedmartin.com Lockheed Martin provides innovations in aeronautics, information systems, global solutions, missiles and fire control, mission systems and training, and space systems. The company made $47.2 billion in sales in 2012, and was ranked 58th on the 2012 Fortune 500 list of largest industrial corporations. The Fort Worth facility builds mainly military aircraft, such as the F-16 Fighting Falcon and the F-117 Nighthawk.
8. JP Morgan Chase & Co.13,500 employees Local base: 2200 Ross Ave. Dallas , TX 75201 Headquarters: New York, NY 800-935-9935 www.chase.com JP Morgan is one of the largest banks in Texas. It serves 21 million households, services 7 million mortgages, and has more than 1.6 million customers worldwide. The American Customer Satisfaction Index named the company number one in customer satisfaction in 2012. Its Dallas headquarters is in the JP Morgan Chase Tower, one of the tallest skyscrapers in the city with over 55 stories.
9. UT-Southwestern Medical Center13,122 employees Headquarters: 5323 Harry Hines Blvd. Dallas, TX 75390 214-648-3111 www.utsouthwestern.edu The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center has three degree-granting institutions which train 4,600 medical, graduate, and health profession students per year. The center cares for nearly 90,000 hospitalized patients and receives more that 1.9 million out-patient visits per year, with an annual budget of around $1.86 billion.
10. City of Dallas12,836 employees Headquarters: 1500 Marilla Street Dallas, TX 75201 www.dallascityhall.com The City of Dallas has a population of over 1,250,000 people and employs 12,836 of them. As the third-largest city in Texas, it is located mostly in Dallas county, but small portions are also in Collin, Denton, Kaufman, and Rockwell counties.
11. HCA North Texas12,000 employees Local base: 6565 N. McArthur Blvd., Suite 5350 Irving, TX 75039 Headquarters: Nashville, TN 972-401-8750 www.hcanorthtexas.com HCA, Inc. was founded in 1968 and was one of the nation's first hospital companies. The company provides around 4 or 5 percent of all medical care in the nation. HCA North Texas has numerous hospitals, imaging, and surgery centers throughout the DFW area, including the Denton Regional Medical Center, the Medical Center of Lewisville, and the Medical City Dallas Hospital, among others.
12. NAS Fort Worth JRB11,350 employees Base: 1510 Chennault Avenue Fort Worth, TX 76127 817-782-5000 www.cnic.navy.mil/regions/cnrse/installations/nas_jrb_fort_worth.html The Naval Air Station Forth Worth Joint Reserve Base was established in 1994 as the first Joint Reserve Base in the country. It is made up of 40 separate commands and its 11,350 personnel include active duty military, Guardsmen, Reservists, and civilian employees.
13. U.S. Postal Service10,439 employees Local Headquarters: 401 Dallas Fort Worth Turnpike Dallas, TX 75260 https://www.usps.com/ in 1775, Benjamin Franklin appointed the first Postmaster General and the United States Postal Service was born. USPS has processed 160 billion pieces of mail with 70,000 stores, banks, and kiosks around the country. The organization has the largest civilian vehicle fleet in the country, and delivers mail in rain, sleet or snow.
14. Fort Worth ISD10,129 employees Headquarters: 100 N. University Dr. Fort Worth, TX 76107 817-871-2000 www.fwisd.org/pages/FWISD The public school system of Fort Worth was founded in 1882, and today employs 10,129 teachers and staff. All hiring for the Fort Worth ISD is done through their Human Capital Management organization, which can be found at http://www.fwisd.org/pages/FWISD/Departments_Programs/Departments__E-I_/Human_Capital_Management.
15. Kroger Co.10,097 employees Local base: 1331 E. Airport Fwy. Irving, TX 75062 Headquarters: Cincinnati, OH 972-785-6000 www.kroger.com Kroger is one of the largest retail companies in the United States and was ranked number 23 on the 2013 Fortune 500 List. Kroger operates 2,424 supermarkets, 786 convenience stores, 328 fine jewelry stores, and 37 manufacturing plants. There are 206 Kroger-owned supermarkets in Texas, and 85 of those are in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metropolitan Area.
16. Texas Instruments Inc.9,100 employees Headquarters: 12500 TI Blvd. Dallas, TX 75243 972-995-2011 www.ti.com Texas Instruments designs and supplies semiconductors and digital signal processing solutions for the world market. Dallas is home to TI's American operations, which has been on Fortune's Most Admired Companies List for 10 consecutive years.
17. Raytheon Company8,700 employees Local base: 2501 W. University Dr. McKinney, TX 75071 Headquarters: Waltham, MA 972-952-2000 www.raytheon.com Established in 1922, Raytheon achieved $25 billion in sales in 2011. The company provides a broad range of mission support systems, including state-of-the-art electronics and mission systems integration for customers around the world. Raytheon employs 8,700 people in 7 different facilities in the DFW area.
18. Target Corp.8,674 employees Local base: 555 Republic Dr. Plano, TX 75074 Headquarters: Minneapolis, MN 800-440-0680 www.target.com The first Target store opened in 1962, and in the very same year it gained the nickname "Tar-zhay." The company has 1,778 stores in the U.S. and 82 in Canada, supporting 361,000 employees. DiversityInc Magazine ranked Target number 20 in its list of Top 50 Companies for Diversity in 2013.
19. The United Parcel Service Inc.8,555 employees Local base: 4240 International Pkwy. Suite180 Carrollton, TX 75007 Headquarters: Atlanta, GA 404-828-6593 www.ups.com The United Parcel Service began as a messenger service in 1907, and has grown into a global corporation that services 2000 companies around the world. 2012 revenue was $54.1 billion, with a delivery rate of around 16.3 million packages daily. Though headquartered in Atlanta, GA, UPS employs 8,555 workers in the DFW area.
20. Parkland Health and Hospital8,134 employees Headquarters: 5201 Harry Hines Blvd. Dallas, TX 75235 214-590-8000 www.parklandhospital.com For more than a century, Parkland Health and Hospital has served Dallas County with talented medical professionals. Parkland has 14 medical centers in the Dallas area, including the Burn Intensive Care Unit, the Arrhythmia Management Center, and a Diabetes Treatment Center.
21. Arlington ISD8,126 employees Headquarters: 1203 W. Pioneer Pkwy Arlington, TX 76013 682-867-4611 www.aisd.net Arlington ISD is the ninth largest school district in Texas and serves more than 64,000 students. One of Arlington's largest employers, the district is home to 16 National Merit, National Achievement, and National Hispanic Scholars. Average teacher salary is $52,425 and beginning teacher salary is $46,276.
22. J.C. Penney Co.7,964 employees Headquarters: 6501 Legacy Dr. Plano, TX 75024 972-431-3400 www.jcpenney.com J. C. Penny, Inc. is one of the largest retailers of apparel and home furnishings. The company operates 1,100 stores in all fifty states, as well as Puerto Rico, and reached $17.2 billion in revenue in 2012. Although it began as a catalogue and mid-level department store chain, the company also has extensive online shopping resources.
23. University of Texas, Arlington6,239 employees Headquarters: 701 S Nedderman Dr. Arlington, TX 76019 817-272-2011 www.uta.edu/uta The University of Texas at Arlington offers more than 180 rigorous degree programs in 12 different colleges. According to the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, the university is considered a Research University with high activity. Fall 2012 enrollment was 33,239, with 25,761 undergraduate and 7,478 graduate students.
24. City of Fort Worth6,195 employees Headquarters: 1000 Throckmorton St. Fort Worth, TX 76102 817-392-2255 fortworthtexas.gov The City of Fort Worth is broken into 9 districts, and is located in Tarrant and Denton Counties. As one of the fastest-growing cities over the last decade, the city is expected to exceed 1 million people by 2030.
25. JPS Health Network6,500 employees Headquarters: 1500 S. Main Street Fort Worth, TX 76104 817-702-3431 www.jpshealthnet.org The JPS Health Network was founded in 1906 with the John Pete Smith Hospital. The network has 52 locations throughout Tarrant county, including Tarrant County's only Level I Trauma Center, 19 pediatric centers, six dental centers, and 4 behavioral centers.
Did you like what you read here? Order your FREE copy of Destination DFW Relocation Guide!
Edit ModuleShow Tags